I work in the HR arena because I want to. And I don’t want to do anything else. Why?
Because HR is all about relationships of varying kinds and I’m into relationships that thrive on honesty, commitment and passion. I help make these work for clients in their workplaces.
Nobody that I’ve ever met rushes into work early because they have a legally compliant and up to date Contract of Employment. Neither are they motivated to stay on beyond their normal contractual hours to finish a job because they have a really comprehensive Employee / Staff Handbook.
They may be important foundations of the employment relationship, but they aren’t going to motivate your staff to do that bit extra – the little extra effort after normal hours that makes the real difference to your business. (If I was trendy I’d call this the ‘discretionary effort’). Positive working environments and relationships just make good business sense.
Creating both the right working relationship and environment has massive and often rapid benefits for your business. For example: –
- Attracting the best people to your business
- Keeping them thereby reducing staff turnover. Remember, it’s normally your best staff who are attractive to your competitors
- Reducing both the obvious and hidden costs of absenteeism
- Increasing sales through strong relationships with clients
- Generating new ideas for products or efficiencies
And I’ll help you getting good practices in place which will reduce the potential of expensive Tribunal proceedings.
I don’t do HR for HR’s sake, that’s not me. I take what I do very seriously. But I like to have a laugh in what I do wherever possible.